Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kola School No. 601 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
The Kola School District was established in May 1889. The following year, a schoolhouse was erected at SE28-10-29W, one-half mile east, two miles south, and one-half mile east of Woodville Cemetery, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth. It was rebuilt three times, in 1900 (after it was demolished by a tornado), 1946 (destroyed by a chimney fire), and 1957 (fire). After the 1946 fire, a replacement was built at NW22-10-29W, on land owned by Eden Burwash Weldon who was Secretary-Treasurer of the district for 18 years. The school closed in 1971.
The Kola School is commemorated by a monument in the Woodville Cemetery, dedicated on 9 July 1995.
Elkhorn West topographic map, 62F/14 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Aerial photograph A11041-101 [May 1947], Manitoba Air Photo Library.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 December 2015
Back to top of page