Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Spring
Field Trip:
Military
History


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 83


This Old
Grain
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kirkwood School No. 654 (Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

The Kirkwood School District was formally established in May 1891 but students attended Thirlstane School for two years, until a school building was built. The first Kirkwood School was built on an acre of land on the northeast quarter of 25-3-23 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester. In the fall of 1921, the district was consolidated with Deloraine School No. 490. The consolidation lasted until September 1935 when, following heated discussions and legal fights, Kirkwood was reformed and classes were held in a private home.

A new school building was erected in 1938, at a cost of $2,500, on three acres of land on the northwest quarter of 30-3-22W. The school operated until 1949 when it closed due to low enrollment. It reopened in 1952 and operated until 1965 when it was again consolidated with Deloraine. The district was dissolved in January 1967 and the building was moved to Deloraine for use as a classroom. It was later made into an addition to the Deloraine public library.

Teachers at Kirkwood School during each of its three periods of operation included the following: (1893-1921): Mary Hawthorne, Fred Potter, Nellie Sutherland, Miss Semple, George Bremner, Mary Creighton, Mina Davidson, Bess Richards, Bessie Thomas, Mrs. Emma Thompson Kirkwood, Helen Dickson, Winnifred A. Potter, G. A. Mace, Ethel Johnston, Amy Graham, M. E. Alford, M. Mawhinney, E. N. Snelgrove, Miss E. Doughty, Miss M. Livingstone, Miss M. Leigh, Miss D. Aldis, and Thomas Greenway. (1935-1949): Ruth Howden, Florence McArter, Winnifred Potter, Miss C. B. Doughty, Miss M. Weidenhamer, Elaine Hean, Miss G. E. Martin, Marie De Casse, and Violet Pearen. (1952-1965): Maxine Bell, Mrs. Jill Combs, Helen McGill, Mary Henzel, Mrs. Helen Church, and Jean Fingler.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.24565, W100.44183
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]

“Consolidated school district dissolved,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 September 1935, page 9.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Deloraine Scans a Century: 1880-1980 by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, pages 141-142.

We thank Howard Griffith for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 September 2013

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.