Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kinloss School No. 934 (Municipality of Two Borders)
The Kinloss School District was established formally in March 1898, and a one-room frame school building was erected on the northeast corner of 19-6-27 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Two Borders. The school closed in 1961 and the district was dissolved in 1964. Its remaining students went to Reston Consolidated School No. 141. The school building was sold and is no longer present at the site, but a monument dedicated on 26 July 1987 commemorates it. A plaque attached to the monument lists the surnames of families who settled in the Kinloss area between 1899 and 1962.
The teachers of Kinloss School were George W. McDonald (1897-1898), Miss Harlowe, Miss Cochrane, Lizzie Stewart, Helen McPherson, Lydia Carrothers, Jennie Downey, Miss Calder, May Townsley, Annie Wilson, Alfred John Richards (1912-1913), Blanche Bent, Alice Willett, Ada Boulton, Aileen McFarlane, Mabel Pickersgill, Miss Martin, M. Edith Moore, Dorothy Raynor, Ida McCulloch, Irene Basker (1924), Elta Kennedy (1924-1926), Lucy Fraser, Jean Ledingham, Thelma Barber, Ethel Sankey (?-?), Gladys McIntyre (1921), Ethel Sharmon, Jean Smith, Ruth Howden, Margaret Witt (1940-1941), Mrs. Mary Stacey, Tom Stewart, Gwendolyn Massey, Jean Spence (1943-1944), Merle Cassell, Ruth Stoddart, Doreen Blackmore, Isabelle Nixon (1948-1952), Jean Mayberry (1949), Mrs. Mary Milliken, Louella Mayes, Catherina Schuddematt, Helen McLeod, Claire Perras, Edward Kostecki, Mrs. Doreen Sharratt (1959), Beverley Francis, and Jean Walton.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 269-270. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Beth Anderson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 January 2022