Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kingsley School No. 221 (Municipality of Pembina)
The Kingsley School District was established formally in 1884 and a one-room schoolhouse operated on NE26-4-10W in what is now the Municipality of Pembina. The one-room structure was constructed in 1907 using bricks from the McLean Brickyard. It closed in July 1968 and its remaining students went to LaRiviere Consolidated School No. 516, Richard Consolidated School No. 1092, or Swan Lake Consolidated School No. 345.
As of late 2011, the building had some structural damage to its exterior brick walls. Its interior appeared to be in good repair but, prior to a mid-2016 site visit, the staircase to the basement had been removed. A three-year restoration project, started in 2021, has seen the roof re-shingled, the foundation stabilized, and exterior masonry repaired. Plans call for restoring the interior and fixing the floor.
Among the teachers of Kingsley School was Robert W. McMorran (1897).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank George Penner and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 October 2021