Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kiewel Brewery Building (690 St. Joseph Street, Winnipeg)
This brick building on St. Joseph Street in the St. Boniface area of Winnipeg was constructed in late 1924 by the American construction firm of Hazelton and Wallin, at a cost of about $90,000, for Charles E. Kiewel (1875-1969) of Crookston, Minnesota. The Kiewel Brewing Company began brewing operations in early 1925 with a capacity of 30,000 barrels of beer per year.
In 1929, the brewery was taken over by the Brewing Corporation of Canada and sold in 1936 to Shea’s and Drewry’s. It was taken over by Labatt’s in 1961 and its name was changed to the Kiewel Pelissier’s Breweries in 1969. Finally, in August 1976, the facility was closed and production moved to a Labatt's plant on Notre Dame Avenue in Winnipeg.
Presently (2020), the building is occupied by several small businesses.
“City and district,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 July 1924, page 4.
“Work starts on brewery,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 July 1924, page 6.
“Kiewel’s Ltd. merged with Brewing Corp.,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 January 1929, page 15.
A List of Manitoba Breweries and Their Locations by Norman Gorman, 1980.
Charles E. Kiewel (1875-1969), MNopedia.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 August 2020