Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pioneer Grain Elevator (Kenville West, Municipality of Swan Valley West)
A 62,000-bushel wooden grain elevator one mile southwest of Kenville, on the CNR Preeceville Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West, was built in 1959 as a crib annex at Hyas, Saskatchewan. Moved 78 kilometres to this site in February 1987, the annex was put on a new concrete foundation and a drive shed, office, and chemical shed were constructed to convert it into a fully-functional elevator for Pioneer Grain, with a 21-car spot. It was opened with a ceremonial grain delivery by a 1948 GMC truck driven by Nelson Cotton, the son of one of the early Pioneer agents at Kenville. Later, two steel tanks were constructed on its southwest side, increasing the total capacity to 118,000 bushels. The elevator was closed and demolished in October 2014.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
“Make way, we're coming through,” Swan Valley Star and Times, 19 February 1987, page 1.
“Pioneer celebrates grand opening in Kenville,” Swan Valley Star and Times, 29 October 1987, page 1.
“Farewell to a landmark,” Swan Valley Star and Times, 4 November 2014, page 19.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 May 2021