Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Captain William Kennedy House (417 River Road, RM of St. Andrews)

The Kennedy House, a provincially-designated historic site in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews, was built in 1866 for Captain William Kennedy using stones quarried from the Red River banks at nearby St. Andrews Rapids. The Gothic Revival style of the Kennedy House is architecturally distinctive, compared to the other old stone houses built in the Red River Settlement, which reflect Georgian influences. By contemporary Eastern Canadian or British standards Kennedy House was simple and unadorned. By Red River Settlement standards, however, it was very fashionable. Since the destruction of several early stone houses along the Red River, Kennedy House now stands as one of only seven remaining. A plaque commemorating Captain Kennedy was erected beside the building by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba.

At the time of a July 2015 site visit, the building was now closed awaiting repair of structural problems.

Kennedy House

Kennedy House (September 2007)
Source: Ken Storie

Kennedy House

Kennedy House (July 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Kennedy House

Kennedy House (July 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.06570, W96.96970
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: William Kennedy (1813-1890)

Memorable Manitobans: John Edgar McAllister (1867-1955)

Memorable Manitobans: Edward Charles Shaw (1924-1980)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba

Sources:

Captain William Kennedy House, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Tim Worth, and Ken Storie.

Page revised: 5 July 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.