Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kenilworth Court (44 Hargrave Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick block on Hargrave Street in Winnipeg was designed by architect George Gaspar Teeter and built in 1910 by Claydon Brothers Construction for owner Elizabeth Prudence Rutherford (1870-1918) at a cost of about $45,000. The 42 feet by 101 feet structure contained 15 apartments in its original configuration. Mrs. Rutherford lived in one of the apartments until her death.
By the early 21st century, the building had been vacant for some years and was being dismantled when it was destroyed by arson fire on 6 April 2015. The site is now occupied by a new building.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 776/1910, City of Winnipeg Archives.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Death registration [Elizabeth Prudence Rutherford], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Mrs. W. E. Rutherford buried at Brookside,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 October 1918, page 7.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 5848/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
Page revised: 20 May 2022