Historic Sites of Manitoba: John Dafoe School (1777 Grant Avenue, Winnipeg)
A cornerstone for John Dafoe School was laid by school trustee Catherine Stewart at a ceremony on 19 June 1957. Named for journalist John W. Dafoe, the building’s original configuration consisted of eight classrooms, two kindergarten rooms, a general purpose room, and ancillary space. A portrait of Dafoe was presented to the school by Edwin Elcome “Ted” Dafoe at its official opening on 14 November 1957 with School board Chairman H. B. Parker. Four classrooms were added in 1959. It was partially damaged in an arson fire on 15 December 1977. The school closed in June 1991 due to declining enrollment and, in 2010, the building was leased for use as a daycare.
Photos & Maps
“Cornerstone is laid for John Dafoe School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 June 1957, page 25.
“School posts filled,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 May 1973, page 74.
“School staff shuffled,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly, 2 July 1989, page SW3.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 March 2017
Back to top of page