Historic Sites of Manitoba: Jaroslaw School No. 1649 (Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton)
The Jaroslaw School District (also called Jaraslaw School District) was organized formally in January 1913. It operated at this site in what is now the Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton, in the northeast quarter of 27-21-3 east of the Principal Meridian. A new building was erected at the same site as the old one, in 1955, equipped with running water, an oil-fueled furnace, and electrical appliances in its teacherage. In January 1966, it was consolidated with Arborg Consolidated School No. 2441.
Among the teachers who worked at Jaroslaw School were Mr. A. D. Hillcoff (1916-1917), William Chimchak (1920-1921), and Mr. M. Fydirchuk (1964-1965).
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 March 2020
Back to top of page