Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Irvine School No. 1146 (RM of Langford)

The Irvine School District was organized formally in August 1901 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE22-13-14W in the Rural Municipality of Langford. In 1924, the building was moved to low level ground about a ¼ mile to the east. The school closed periodically due to low enrollment (1906-1907, 1951-1952, 1953-1955) then closed permanently in June 1956. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Wellwood Consolidated School District and later the Beautiful Plains School Division. The former school building was still standing at the site in 2003, being used as a granary. It was gone at the time of a 2015 site visit.

The teachers of Irvine School were Mabel Hudson, Bertha Lowry, Minnie Carrothers, Emma Gilbard, Nellie McLaren, Annie May Long, Mattie Halliday, Dora Jonasson, Mabel Peck, Mayme Allen (1914-1915), Catherine Boughton (1915-1918), Sadie Harvey (1918), Mayme Manders (1919), Percy Bicknell (1919-1922), Steven Quelch (1922), Winnifred Leathers (1923), Beulah Hoddinott (1924-1925), Olive Wells (1925-1926), Enid Wall (1926-1928), Margaret Mackie (1928-1929), Evelyn Strain (1929-1930), Edith Fleming (1930-1932), Olive Wells (1932-1933), Jean Brown (1933-1936), Sarah Wilson (1936-1938), Jean Graham (1938-1940), Julia McWilliams (1940-1942), Bernice Pool (1942-1943), Jean Ritchey (1943-1944), Lillian Vaughan (1944-1945), Mrs. Matilda Ames (1945-1946), Edith Northam (1946-1947), Mary Smythe (1947-1948), Elizabeth Wells (1948-1949), Frances Coey (1949-1950), Gwen McLaughlin (1950-1951), Maxine Tenant (1950-1951), Ethel Williams (1952-1953), Vera LeDrew (1953), and Doris Thompson (1955-1956).

Irvine School

The Irvine School building (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 66.

Irvine School

The former Irvine School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 549.

Irvine School

Site of the former Irvine School (April 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.10773, W99.30377
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

First Century of Langford, 1891-1991 by Langford Centennial History Committee, 1990, pages 51-54.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 September 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.