Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
LG History
Awards
2020

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

Memorable Manitobans of 2019
Memorable
Manitobans
of 2019

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: International Harvester Building / Public Cold Storage Building (1735 Pacific Avenue, Brandon)

In 1908, Brandon was selected as the Western Canadian headquarters of the International Harvester Company of America. The firm manufactured and sold agricultural equipment such as harvesting machines, tillage and seeding implements, gasoline engines, and threshers. J. F. Jones, the general manager of the Canadian division of the company visited the city in April 1910, and was quoted in the Brandon Weekly Sun as stating that “Brandon has advantages here for distributing houses possessed by no other city in Western Canada. Situated as it is in the very heart of one of the richest agricultural districts in the world and with railway connections to all parts of the west, Brandon has exceptional advantages.”

A five-storey brick building at the intersection of Pacific Avenue and 18th Street was built in late 1911 by the Winnipeg-based construction firm of Carter Halls Aldinger. The company remained at the site until at least 1959. The building was later used in a succession of ways, including a wholesale distribution warehouse (circa 1959), cold storage plant (1962-1967), and goose- and duck-processing plant (1969-1980s).

In 1999, a Winnipeg development company sold the building to a local retail furniture store for use as a warehouse, after abandoning an ambitious $4-million renovation plan that would have seen the building turned into 43 upscale condominiums. The building continues to be used for furniture storage.

International Harvester Building

International Harvester Building (circa 1911) by Davidson & Gowen
Source: S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University, Alf Fowler Collection, 6-1999.34

International Harvester Building

International Harvester Building (2014) by Graham Street
Source: S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University, Gowen's Brandon exhibition collection

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84969, W99.96151
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: International Harvester Building (782 Main Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba

Sources:

“Brandon is good point,” Brandon Weekly Sun, 26 November 1908, page 1.

“Brandon will take rapid strides ahead,” Brandon Weekly Sun, 14 April 1910, page 2.

“New I.H.C. block,” Brandon Weekly Sun, 11 May 1911, page 2.

“New I.H. Co. building,” Brandon Weekly Sun, 1 June 1911, page 2.

“The city council,”Brandon Weekly Sun, 5 October 1911, page 6.

“Mr. W. A. Paterson,” Brandon Sun, 3 December 1959, page 8.

“Cold storage work underway,” Brandon Sun, 12 January 1962, page 1.

“Brandon Poultry Products Limited,” Brandon Sun, 3 September 1965, page 7.

“Brandon plant expands,” Brandon Sun, 29 April 1966, page 1.

“Another new industry comes to Brandon,” Brandon Sun, 25 November 1966, page 2.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

“Poultry Products to be reactivated,” Brandon Sun, 23 September 1969, page 1.

“Condos for core stir imagination,” Brandon Sun, 5 January 1999, page 1.

“Developer scraps condo project,” Brandon Sun, 28 June 1999, page 17.

“Kullberg’s lands old duck plant,” Brandon Sun, 18 August 1999, page 34.

We thank Graham Street for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Christy Henry, and Morganna Malyon.

Page revised: 24 December 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.