Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Inkerman School No. 875 (RM of Langford)

Inkerman School was established in January 1896, with a building erected on the northwest quarter of 26-14-14 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Langford. Local sources claim the name arose from the prolonged period over which negotiations for the school district were made, and the large amount of ink used during the process. More likely possibilities are that it commemorates some local settler or the Battle of Inkerman during the Crimean War in 1854.

In 1952, a new school building was erected and the old building was sold and moved to Neepawa to be used as the Church of Christ. Around 1967, it was sold again and moved to a site in the northwest corner of town then, a year or two later, it was purchased by the town and moved again, to be used as a training centre for firefighters.

In 1967, Inkerman School closed and remaining students were bused to schools in Neepawa. The former school building was used for three years as a school for mentally handicapped children. In 1970, the Beautiful Plains School Division closed the school and sold the building to a local farmer, who moved it to SW8-13-15 for use as a residence.

Inkerman School

The original Inkerman School (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 15.

Inkerman School

The former Inkerman School building, now a private home at N50.08179, W99.49913 (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.22480, W99.28365
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

The Beautiful Plains Story: 1983-2008 by Neepawa and Area History Committee, 2008, page 157.

Information for this page was collected by Allan Drysdale and prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 April 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.