Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 85


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Huston School No. 770 (Municipality of Two Borders)

The Huston School District was established formally in May 1893 and it operated a school on the southeast corner of 2-6-27W in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. The district was dissolved in 1961 and, henceforth, students from this area went to Broomhill Consolidated School No. 2363, Paramount School No. 1289, Kinloss School No. 934, or Belses School No. 501. The former school building was later used for storage.

The teachers of Huston School were Miss Kathleen Edmison (1894), Miss Ada Martin (1895), Annie Doney (1900), Raylene Higgins (1901), Edna Harold (1902), Maude Anderson (1903), Mr. R. W. Dunlop (1903), Ruby Little (1907-1908), Miss McConnell (1910), Miss M. E. Knight (1911-1912), Jennie McCreary (1913), Alice Wilson (1913-1914), Janet More (1915-1916), Francis Thornton (1916-1917), Florence McLaren (1919-1920), Myrtle McCullough (1921-1922), Enid Haughton (1921-1923), Helen Ross (1923-1924), Herbert Ray (1923-1924), Olive Smith (1924-1926), Kay Winder (1927-1928), Dora Dunbar (1929-1931), Margaret Anderson (1933-1934), Kay Townsend (1934-1938), Maxine Smith (1938-1939), Annie Davidoski (1939-1942), Philis Mitchie (1942-1943), Mildred Cleaver (1943-1944), Jennie Babeuk (1944-1945), Kathleen Henderson (1945-1946), May Stephenson (1946-1947), Nadine Manary (1947-1948), Charmaine Parsons (1948-1949), Marguerite Gatin (1949-1951), Clarice Dickinson (1951-1952), Mrs. Ruth McLean (1952-1954), Mary Ann Thompson (1954-1955), Maurice Demikiue (1955-1956), Lillian Clow (1956-1957), and Betty Birch (1957-1958).

Huston School

Huston School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 123.

Huston School

The former Huston School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 9.

Huston School

The former Huston School building (September 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.45764, W101.02018
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 263-264. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]

Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 13 January 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.