Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Huns Valley School / Polonia School No. 732 (Highway 5, Neepawa)

The Huns Valley School District was established formally in December 1886 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW28-16-16-W in the Rural Municipality of Rosedale. Renamed Polonia School District in 1934, the district was dissolved in 1968 and its catchment area became part of the Beautiful Plains School Division. The former school building was moved to Neepawa where it was used for an agricultural implement dealership.

The teachers of Huns Valley School were Michael Ruby (1887-?), Edward Barton (?-1896), Malcolm Campbell (1897-1897), James A. McNulty (1897-1903), B. Giles (1903-1904), John H. McDougall (1904-1908), Henry Wilson (1908), Bert Smith (1908-1909), Father Antoni Plucinski (1909-1911), John S. Pazdor (1911-1912), L. B. Wolanczyk (1912-1913), Bert Smith (1913), John Dybeck (1913-1916), Joseph Terlecki (1916), Grace H. Hall (1916-1919), John S. Pazdor (1919-1922), J. A. Houston (1922-1923), Iva May Eros (1923-1924), R. Koppa (1924-1926), Edna Robertson (1926-1927), Verna Coad (1927-1928), George Cusack (1928-1929), Thomas A. Farenhurst (1929-1933), Sister Clara Maserek (1933-1934), Joseph Terlecki (1934-1935), Sister Margarita Zagol (1934-1936), Sister Eleanore Grzymalowski (1936-1937), Sister Clara Maserek (1937-1941), Sister Hiltrude Kolodyczuk (1941-1949), Sister Clara Maserek (1949-1950), Sister Martha Kwolik (1949-1951), Sister Margarita Zagol (1951), Sister Gerarda Pura (1951), Sister Eleanor Grzymalowski (1952-1954), Sister Boniface Zentner (1954-1955), Sister Alfred Chwaliboga (1955-1956), Mrs. Andy Cook (1955-1956), Mrs. Les Graham (1956-1967), and Ken Germain (1967-1968).

Huns Valley School

Huns Valley School (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 116.

The former Huns Valley School

The former Huns Valley School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1161.

Site Location (lat/long): N50.23463, W99.47848
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Marriage and death registrations [Iva May Eros], Manitoba Vital Statistics.

We thank Glen Gibbons for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Denise Kolesar.

Page revised: 10 July 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.