Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hillview School No. 632 (RM of Pipestone)
The Hillview School District was established in February 1891 and a wood frame school building operated at NW7-8-27W in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. The district was dissolved in 1964 as students from this area went to Reston Consolidated School No. 141. The former school building was later used as a community centre. As of early 2013, the building is still stands at the site although it is open to the elements and heavily encroached by vegetation.
Among the noteworthy students of Hillview School was James D. Watt.
Among the teachers of Hillview School were Emma Best (1891), Sybill Inster (1891), Ernest T. Leach (1897), Miss Francis Gilbert (1902), Lillian Scott (1903), P. H. Ferguson (1904), Francis Hiebert, Lottie Douglas (1914), Janet MacDonald (1917), Rhea Forder (1918), Alma McKinnon (1919), Mary Bates (1924), Marjorie Campbell (1926), Marjorie Wilson, Vera Johnson, Kate Fraser, Viola Mark, Delbert Duncan (1929), Nellie Pringle (1935), Marjorie Patmore (1930s), Earle Bulloch (1936-1939), Mona Patterson (1940), Mae Wilson, Miss Patmore, Mrs. Kerr (1941-1942), Muriel Cussack, Lillian Smeltz (1943-1945), Joyce Brown (1946), Betty Fraser (1947), Wella Cochrane (1948), Donna Hagan (1952), Eleanor Elliott (1956), Della Cameron (1959-1960), Margaret Fehr (1961-1962), and Peter Penner (1963).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 237-238. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
Obituary [Donna Hagan Dutton], Winnipeg Free Press, 4 February 2017.
We thank Malcolm Bell and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 November 2019
Back to top of page