Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hillside School No. 377 (RM of Pipestone)
The Hillside School District was established formally in March 1885 but appareSntly did not begin operating until 1892 when a school building was erected on the northwest corner of 21-9-26 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. Land for the school was donated by farmer N. W. Daniel.
The school operated until 1946 when it closed due to low student enrollment. It reopened in 1950 then closed permanently in 1954. Students were bused to Virden Consolidated School or Scarth School. The district was dissolved in 1967. The former school building is no longer present at the site but a commemorative monument, erected in 1984, was restored in 2009.
The teachers of Hillside School were Eliza Tufts (1892), Eliza Burge (1893), Auria B. Jeffrey (1894), Victoria M. Field (1895), Beatrice E. Stuart (1896), Lucy Cleland (1897), Anna B. Jeffrey (1898), Jossia A. Barton (1898), Flora F. Howse (1899), Elizabeth Tully (1899), James A. McLeod (1900), Edna J. Brandon (1904), D. Muldew (1904), Sarah A. Sproat (1905), Lilian McLaren (1909), Miss Little (1911), G. Hopkins (1912), M. McFarlane (1913), M. L. Lang (1914), Miss Lloyd (1915), Miss M. Smith (1915), Miss G. Clark (1916-1919), Miss L. Estell (1916-1919), Miss M. E. Thompson (1919-1920), Miss Roberts (1921-1922), Miss L. Hetherington (1922-1923), Miss E. Schmidt (1923-1924), Miss M. Porteous (1925-1926), Miss E. Robinson (1927-1929), Miss M. Cresswell (1930), Miss B. Ginnis (1931-1932), Miss G. Smeltz (1933-1934), Miss D. Shoemaker (1935), Miss Montgomery (1936), Miss Helen Sinclair (1937-1938), Miss Shoemaker (1939), Miss L. Wallace (1942), Miss Coulthard (1940-1941), Miss L. Wallace (1942), Miss Grant (1943), Mrs. Leslie (1943), Miss Taylor (1944), Miss McKinnon (1945), Miss Evelyn Veldhouse (1950), Miss Doris Lund (1951), and Mr. O. A. Perlette (1952-1953).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, page 229. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2014
Back to top of page