Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scarth School No. 1541 / Scarth Monument (RM of Pipestone)
Settlers began arriving in this area of western Manitoba, in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone, around 1882. When the Canadian Northern Railway passed through the region in 1907, a townsite was developed on land owned by William Scarth. Within a year, it had a general store and post office that remained in business until 1978.
In June 1910, the Scarth School District No. 1541 was established formally and a one-room school building was erected at this site, where it operated until 1964. At that time, it was consolidated with Fort La Bosse School Division No. 41. The building was used as a community centre until it was burned on 4 October 2007. A commemorative monument was unveiled the next year. It also commemorates the Scarth Homemakers Club, the Scarth Premiers fastball team, and the Scarth Curling Club.
The teachers of Scarth School were Miss Lottie Gibson (1910-1911), Miss Cora Palmer, Miss Florence Hepburn, Miss Margaret Gall (1918-1919), Miss Gladys Clark (1919-1920), F. C. Saunderson (1920), Miss Jessie McKenzie (1920-1922), Mrs. Jessie Porteous (1922, Mr. Lyman G. Porteous 1922), Miss A. Heritage (1922-1923), Mrs. L. G. Porteous (1923-1924), Miss Anne Tod (1924), Miss Hazel Haskett (1924-1931), Miss Myrtle Walls (1931-1933), Miss Jean Graham (1933-1935), Miss Gertrude Nicholson (1935), Miss Irene Davidson (1935-1938), Miss Lila Hogg (1938-1939), Miss Alice Garlick (1939-1940), Miss Muriel McIntosh (1940), Lorne A. Finkbeiner (1940-1941), Miss Olga Long (1941-1943), Mrs. Muriel Outhwaite (1943-1944), Miss Muriel McIntosh (1944), Miss Laura Campbell (1944-1945), Miss Georgina McIntosh (1945-1946), Miss June McMillan (1946), Miss Jean Hayhurst (1947), Miss Winelda Gardener (1947-1948), Miss Betty Jean Kerr (1948-1949), Miss Marlyne Whyte (1949-1950), Sheldon Kelly (1950), Miss Evelyn Newton (1952-1953), Miss Barbara Heddison (1953), Miss Barbara Feguson (1954), Mrs. Doreen Perrin (1954-1955), Miss Margaret Frame (1955-1960), Miss Doreen Smith (1960-1961), Richard Dow (1961-1962), Mrs. Gertrude Webster (1962-1963), Miss Bessie Montgomery (1963-1964), and Mrs. Hughes (1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 627-628. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
“A final lesson: Schoolhouse teaches firefighters,” Brandon Sun, 5 October 2007.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 April 2018
Back to top of page