Historic Sites of Manitoba: Heabert School No. 1282 (RM of Morris)
The Heabert School District was formally established in November 1903 and a school building operated in the northwest quarter of 10-5-1 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Morris. In 1950, the original schoolhouse was sold to a nearby farmer and converted into a granary. It was replaced by a new building with a full basement. The school district was dissolved in 1959 and its catchment area was merged into Lowe Farm Consolidated School District No. 2377. A school reunion was held at the former school site in July 1978. In September 2015, a sign commemorating the school was erected at the site.
Among the teachers of Heabert School were Anne Giesbrecht, Anne Hoeppner, Miss Sommers, Mrs. Bueckert, Tena Wiebe, Kathleen Carter, Eliz Keating, John Armstrong, Sara Enns, Jacob Giesbrecht, Louise Gruenke, Miss E. Hamilton, Nettie Ewalt, Peter Fast, John Giesbrecht, J. Rempel, Robert Laurie, Corn Unruh, Miss Dowler, Effie Curren, Emma Haggerty, M. Curren, Mary Hopkins, Miss Fowler, Mary Klassen (1940-1943), Miss Kilgour, Helen Martens, Erma Schaefer, Marg Peters, Eliz Friesen, Hardy Kehler, Frieda Duerksen, Menno Schulz, and John Klassen.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Aerial photograph A11638-13 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
Heabert School Reflections by Heabert School History Book Committee, no date. [Copy in possession of Gordon Goldsborough, 2019-0098]
We thank Mariette Allen for assistance in locating an aerial photograph of Heabert School.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 December 2019
Back to top of page