This two-storey brick building on Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 25 feet by 52 feet, was designed by civil engineer Herman Saltzman and built in 1913 for owner M. Harris at a cost of about $8,500. The original configuration had a store on the main floor and residential apartment space on the second floor.
Memorable Manitobans: Herman Saltzman (?-?)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1512/1913, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Gordon Goldsborough, George Penner, and Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 25 April 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.