Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

MHS Multicultural Dinner 2019
2019
Multicultural
Dinner

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Harding School No. 1352 (Harding, RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

In July 1905, the Harding School District was organized formally in Harding in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth and, for a time the former Rowan School building (which had been moved to Harding) was used for classes. The following year, a one-storey brick veneer schoolhouse was constructed on a design by architect Thomas Sinclair. In 1919, it was consolidated with Rowan School No. 143 to form Harding Consolidated School No. 1352. The second Rowan School building was moved next to the brick schoolhouse and, as the “White School,” was used for classes in grades 5 to 8, while the basement of the brick school (which had previously been a second classroom) was used as a playroom during inclement weather. Harding School closed in June 1968. The former school building is no longer present at the site, but a monument dedicated on 12 July 1981 during a school reunion commemorates it.

Principals

Period

Principal

1920-1921

George Wesley Darnell White (1891-1947)

1921-1922

Leslie A. Glinz

1922-1949

William Ambrose Evans (c1884-1954)

1949-1951

?

1951-1953

Arnold James Nicholls (1929-2003)

1954-1958

Anton “Tony” Rittaler (1917-2008)

1958-1959

C. Crossman

Teachers

Horace Myers, Mr. Essery (1914), Mr. French (1915), Irving Herkes (1916-1918), Mr. Kitchen (1919), Miss Sarah Tufts, Miss Gertrude Reid, Miss Ede Sullivan, Miss Hutchinson, Miss I. Miller, Miss Mollie Taylor, Miss McLaren, Miss Doris Warren (1938), Lillian Hatch (1945), Mr. Riddle, Mrs. Leonard (1967-1968), Mrs. Helen McGregor (1967-1968).

Photos & Maps

Harding School

Harding School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 103.

Harding School monument

Harding School monument (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.98801, W100.53264
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Home to Harding: 1879-1981 by Harding History Committee, 1981. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.H36 Hom]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 3 February 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.