Historic Sites of Manitoba: Gregg Building (52 Albert Street, Winnipeg)
In 1897, salesman George R. Gregg established an import-export business at Winnipeg, specializing in buying Japanese silks, tailor-made wear, china, matting, curios, and toys from Japanese and Chinese suppliers. Gregg moved his head office to Toronto in 1904 but maintained branch offices at Winnipeg and Vancouver.
In 1902, Gregg commissioned J. H. Cadham to design this office and warehouse on Albert Street between Notre Dame and McDermot avenues. The four-storey building, erected by the Kelly Brothers, was completed in 1903. A fifth storey was added in 1922 on a design by Frank Evans.
The Gregg firm was the primary occupant of the building prior to the First World War, with some space leased to various textile manufacturers’ agents. A more diverse group of businesses used the building by the 1920s. The Gregg Company survived into the mid-1950s, marketing scarves and handkerchiefs through a Winnipeg agent in the period after the Second World War.
The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Gregg Building (52 Albert Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 1986.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 July 2013
Back to top of page