Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ryan Brothers Building / Great West Electric Building (110 James Avenue, Winnipeg)
This Winnipeg building was designed by local architect Victor W. Horwood and built between 1910 and 1911. The Ryan Brothers (siblings Thomas Ryan, James Ryan, George Ryan, and Michael Ryan) acquired the property from the realty brokerage of T. H. Crotty & Company in September 1910, and subsequently commissioned a four-storey brick and stone warehouse. The site was later acquired by the Great West Electric and Radio Company. The structure was later converted into residential condominiums. It became a municipally-designated historic building in 2018.
“[T. H. Crotty & Co. ...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 October 1910, page 6.
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 October 1910, page 8.
“Local notes [Fire from a pot of boiling roofing tar...],” Manitoba Free Press, 24 December 1910, page 21.
“Warehouse space to let,” Manitoba Free Press, 15 April 1911, page 7.
“Ryan Brothers Western Limited,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 August 1949, page 26.
Page revised: 15 July 2019
Back to top of page