A grain mill was operated at this site on Sturgeon Creek in what is now the St. James area of Winnipeg, between 1829 and about 1832, by Metis leader Cuthbert Grant. The first water mill in Western Canada, a working recreation of the mill building was erected at the site in 1974 as part of Winnipeg’s centennial celebrations. Its one-foot thick logs came from Gypsumville and its stones from quarries at Garson.
The Reconstruction of Grant’s Mill by F. W. Armstrong
Manitoba Pageant, Volume 21, Number 1, Autumn 1975
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Co-operator Rural Buildings Series
Memorable Manitobans: Francis Walker “Frank” Armstrong (1900-1986)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 May 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.