|
||||||||||
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Graham School No. 398 (Municipality of Cartwright-Roblin)Graham School was established formally in May 1885, named for local farmer A. A. Graham on whose land a one-room, wood frame schoolhouse was built at NE16-1-13W in what is now the Municipality of Cartwright-Roblin. This first structure was drafty and impossible to heat in cold weather. Eventually it was condemned and some of the students went to Sinkerville School until a replacement was built, in 1909, at NW8-1-13W. It opened for classes in October 1909. It closed in 1961 and its remaining students went to Mather School No. 1345. The district was dissolved in 1967. The school building was moved to Pilot Mound but a monument, dedicated in 1988, commemorates it at the original site. The teachers of Graham School were Florence Fulford (1903), Lulu Wishart (1903), May Fawcett (1903), Arthur E. Bell (1903), Annie Dohaney (1909), Agnes Blackburn (1910), Jessie Munsie (1910), Jessie McIntyre (1910-1911), Jesse McRae (1911-1912), Beulah Dool (1912-1913), Olive Craig (1913-1914), Archena Conner (1914), Marjorie Holditch (1914-1915), Agnes Graham (1915-1916), Jessie Waldie (1916-1918), Della Bale (1918), Hilda Evitt (1918-1919), Miss Lawmand (1919), Miss Foster (1920), Eva Fedronka (1920), Elsie Kerr (1920-1922), Louise Hudson (1922-1924), Gwen Carson (1924-1925), Miss Thordarson (1924-1925), Miss Alderson (1924-1925), Dorothy Quintaine (1926-1927), Beatrice Frith (1927-1928), Kathleen Shaw (1928-1929), Ruby Fulford (1930-1931), Lloyd Henwood (1931-1940), Dorothy Cantlon (1940-1941), Muriel Strachan (1941-1942), Betty Holditch (1942-1943), Moira Drysdale (1943-1944), Connie Franzman (1944-1945), Bernice Davis (1945-1946), Mrs. Towns (1946-1947), Ruth Elliott (1947-1949), Miss D. V. Cooper (1949-1950), Lois Sorensen (1950-1951), Lois Moffat (1951-1952), Helen Duerksen (1952-1953), David Tiessen (1953-1957), Helen Peters (1957-1959), Margaret Peters (1959-1960), and Herb Warkentin (1960-1961).
Sources:One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978. Crocus Country: A History of Mather & Surrounding Districts by Mather History Committee, 1981. We thank Don and Elaine McLennan for providing additional information used here. This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough. Page revised: 11 February 2021
|
||||||||||
|