Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Giltedge School No. 1678 (RM of Grey)

A monument marks the site of Giltedge School, which opened in May 1913, in a building on the northeast quarter of 27-9-4 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Grey. Closed for eight years due to low student enrollment in the late 1940s and early 1950s, it reopened then closed permanently in July 1966. The district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Elm Creek Consolidated School District No. 812. The former school building was moved to Fannystelle where it was renovated into a private residence. The monument was erected in 1992, for the Elm Creek centennial year, and dedicated to the pioneers, teachers, and students of Giltedge School.

Among the teachers of Giltedge School were Miss I. M. Allward (1913), Miss K. Walmsley (1914), Miss Rose Frederickson (1914), Jean Connell, Lulu Wall, L. Riley, Mary Bruce, Jennie Munro, Miss Bigelow, Doris Cook, Lucy Brooks, Doreen Flynn, Maggie Parker, Vera Royle, Miss Susan Raison (1941), Miss Crowe, Mrs. Webster, Mrs. E. Ward, Mrs. Rod, Miss H. Bates, Miss Fern Bottrell, Miss Lois Metcalfe, Miss Olga Klassen, Miss Georgina Last, Miss Carol Gray, Mrs. Helen McKay, and Mrs. Ina McIntyre (1961-1966).

Giltedge School

Giltedge School (no date) by A. J. Manning
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 15.

Giltedge School

Giltedge School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.77591, W97.91467
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Century of Memories: Elm Creek Centennial History Book, 1892-1992 edited by Doug and Hazel Frost. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.E46 Cen]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 16 April 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.