Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 88
Manitoba
History

No. 88

Lieutenant Governor's History Award
Lieutenant
Governor's
History
Award

MHS Fundraising Dinner
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Garnett School No. 210 (RM of Dufferin)

The Garnett School District was established formally in 1884 and an eclectic school building was erected in the southwest quarter of 34-6-3 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. It operated until January 1966, when it joined Sperling Consolidated School. The former school building was later used as a seed-cleaning plant at SE33-6-3W. In 1989, a commemorative monument was erected at the site for the pioneers, students and teachers of Garnett School.

Among the teachers of Garnett School were John L. Veale (1901-1902), Mr. A. R. Mitchell (1903), M. P. Bell (1921-1922), E. T. Speirs (1925-1926), Mary Evelyn Pritchard (1927-1929), Anabelle “Belle” Simpson (1929-1930), Frances Murta (1932-1933), Cliffe Maybelle Woodworth (1933-1935), Eva Marguerite Cram (1935-1938, daughter of W. J. Cram), Inez R. Abbott (1942-1943), Elinor A. Morgan (1943), Marie Louise Dufault (1944-1945), Reita Eileen [Ilean] Eaton (1945-1947), Mary Rebecca Finnie (1947-1949), Audrey Bernie Fallis (1948-1953), Nettie Kohut (1953-1954), Wilma Kathleen Simms (1954-1955), Geraldine Phippen (1955-1957), Karen Casemore (1957-1958), Dulcie Jean Anderson (1958-1960), Anne Karen Funke (1960-1961), and Harry Arnold Schellenberg (1961-1962).

Garnett School

Garnett School (circa 1907)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School District 210.

The former Garnett School building

The former Garnett School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 348.

The former Garnett School building

The former Garnett School building (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Garnett School commemorative monument

Garnett School commemorative monument (August 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.51762, W97.79802
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Garnett School District No. 210 - Daily Registers, GR2085, Archives of Manitoba.

“Bates breezes,” Dufferin Leader, 8 January 1903, page 1.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 29 November 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.