Historic Sites of Manitoba: Frog Plain Park (Frog Plain Way, Winnipeg)
Located west of the Red River, this Winnipeg park was previously part of a 300-acre series of wet meadows that were home to thousands of Boreal Chorus Frogs, Manitoba’s smallest frog. The area was named in 1812 by the Red River Settlers who presumably heard the amphibians’ seasonal singing. In 1816, the Frog Plain was the site of the Battle of Seven Oaks. That event was subsequently immortalized by Pierre Falcon’s song, the “Ballad of Frog Plain” [Chanson de la Grenouillère]. In the 1940s, the shallow-flooding fields were drained and converted to farmland. In September 1999, when local subdivision plans called for a 220-home development here, naturalist Michele Kading suggested the area include a protected habitat for frogs. Known as Frog Plain Park, this 3.8-acre site includes a commemorative monument and plaques.
“Activist comes leaping to frogs’ defence,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 September 1999, page A1 & A2.
“Frog preserve may be created,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 September 1999, page A2.
“Developer’s plan leaves room for frog habitat,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 March 2000, page A3.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 26 December 2015
Back to top of page