Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fraser Cabin / Sourisford Park / Coulter Park (RM of Arthur)
In November 1928, pioneer Francis Coulter donated to the Arthur Pioneers Association this site south of Melita where he had settled, in April 1882. It became known as Coulter Park, or Sourisford Park, after the nearby crossing on the Souris River. It was Western Canada’s oldest park. Years earlier, in 1873, the site had been a camping place of the Boundary Commission demarking the border between Canada and the United States. Local settlers held a picnic here in 1882 that became an annual event. A stone house nearby was built in 1887 from local field stone.
In July 1929, a memorial arch at the park was dedicated at the annual picnic. Three years later, a log cabin, built by H. Fraser on 4-2-27 west of the Principal Meridian in 1885, was donated to the Association by W. R. Cosgrove as a memento of pioneer days. Near the cabin and arch is a cairn erected by the Rural Municipality of Arthur commemorating the Canadian centennial year in 1967.
Sourisford Park, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
“Fine memorial arch dedicated at Melita”, Manitoba Free Press, 2 July 1929, page 15.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 September 2012
Back to top of page