Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Franklin, RM of Rosedale)
A wooden grain elevator in Franklin, on the CPR Minnedosa Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Rosedale, was built in 1959 next to an older, smaller elevator from 1927. A balloon annex once stood to the east of the older elevator. Renovations in 1981 included a new office and larger driveshed, and installation of a metric scale. A crib annex, built in 1958, was moved here from Mentmore. In 1991, the old elevator was demolished and replaced by three steel tanks. The 160,000-bushel elevator was closed in July 2000, following the opening by Agricore of a large, new facility at Minnedosa. The last elevator in the municipality was demolished in 2002.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
Rosedale Remembered, 1984, pages 179-180.
“End of the line,” Neepawa Banner, 5 August 2000, page 7.
We thank Shelagh Poolie (Viterra Inc.), Mike Lisowski, Glenn Dickson, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 December 2021