Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort Dufferin (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
From 1872 to 1874, Fort Dufferin was the headquarters and winter home to the British-Canadian contingent of the International Boundary Commission. In mid-1874, a contingent of the newly-formed North West Mounted Police (later the Royal Canadian Mounted Police), assembled here prior to its march into what is now Alberta.
One of the buildings that once sat at the site still exists. A monument at the entrance to this site, near Emerson in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin, bears two plaques. One plaque, erected in 1997 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, describes the westward march of the North West Mounted Police. The other plaque commemorates two constables in the force, W. C. Brown and A. McIntosh, who died in 1874 at Fort Dufferin and are buried in unmarked graves near the site.
Fort Dufferin Burial Site, Waymarking.
We thank Peter McLure and Wayne Arseny for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 August 2018
Back to top of page