This plaque, located near the Alexander Docks between Waterfront Drive and the Red River, was unveiled by the St. Andrews Society of Winnipeg on 13 July 1982. It commemorates the site of Fort Douglas, a fortification built by the Selkirk Settlers who sailed from Scotland and arrived in Hudson Bay on 24 September 1811. After a hazardous winter on the Bay, they arrived here in August 1812.
Fort Douglas Plaque (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Location (lat/long): N49.90047, W97.13023
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort Douglas Plaque (Waterfront Drive, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort Douglas Cairn (Higgins Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of (NOT) Manitoba: Fort Daer (Pembina, North Dakota)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Thomas Douglas, Fifth Earl of Selkirk Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lord Selkirk Arrival Plaque (Anderson Avenue, Winnipeg)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 December 2011
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.