After establishing colonies of the disposed peasantry of Ireland and his native Scotland in Prince Edward Island and Upper Canada, Thomas Douglas, the Fifth Lord Selkirk, secured from the Hudson’s Bay Company a grant of land in southern Rupert’s Land. Here between 1811 and 1815 he brought colonists to found an agricultural settlement in the heart of the fur country, thus launching the final stage of the bitter conflict between the Hudson’s Bay Company and North West Company. He spent his fortune and energies on this struggle until his death paved the way for the union of the companies, which resolved the conflict and saved the colony.
A commemorative plaque, dedicated in 1955 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, is located in the small triangular park created at the intersection of Colony Street and Memorial Boulevard north of the Winnipeg Art Gallery.
Thomas Douglas, Fifth Earl of Selkirk commemorative plaque (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Thomas Douglas, Fifth Earl of Selkirk commemorative plaque (December 2021)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89024, W97.15071
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 June 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!