Historic Sites of Manitoba: Flowery Bank School No. 837 (RM of Morris)
The Flowery Bank School District was formally established in March 1895 and a school building operated at three sites, including SW5-5-1E in the Rural Municipality of Morris. In 1958, a new school building was constructed and the original building was moved to a nearby farm. The school closed in 1965 district was dissolved two years later, and henceforth students from this area went to Rosenort Consolidated School No. 2455. The building was moved to Rosenfeld.
Among the teachers who worked at Flowery Bank School were: Miss Forke, Miss Molloy, Miss Friedman, Miss Garvie, Miss A. Jenkins, Miss M. Irvine, Miss Greenridge, Johannah Reimer (1930-1931), J. Reimer, A. McCarthy, A. Klassen, Miss Neufeld, S. Lewis, E. Hean, R. Dickson, M. Dickson, M. Poersch, Mrs. Apostle, J. Hnatiuk, and T. J. Watts.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Furrows in the Valley: A History of the Municipality and its People compiled by the Morris History Book Committee, edited by Lenore Eidse, 1980.
Aerial photograph A11637-169 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
We thank Mariette Allen for assistance in locating an aerial photograph of Flowery Bank School.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 December 2014
Back to top of page