Historic Sites of Manitoba: Flower School No. 1843 (Municipality of Harrison Park)
The Flower School District was established in October 1916 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE25-19-22W in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. In 1960, the district was dissolved and its catchment area was added to the Elphinstone Consolidated School District. It later became part of the Pelly Trail School Division. The schoolhouse burned down in 1962 and the school yard was turned into a livestock pasture. The teacherage was sold and moved two miles east of Elphinstone.
Among the teachers of Flower School were Cornelius Green (1919), Walter Balls (1921-1922), Robert M. Smith (1923), Kathleen Wark (1924), E. H. Parsley (1924), J. W. Melosky (1924-1925), J. M. Hawryluk (1925), Carrie E. Lunn (1926), Irene Waluk (1926), D. D. Dutchak (1927), Louise Butler (1928), G. Count (1928-1929), Clayton Bricker (1928-1929), M. P. Lutack (1928-1929), Peter Krepiakewich (1929-1930), Alan Cheales (1930-1931), Mary Nychek (1931-1934), Phyllis Chopp (1934-1936), John Zurbyk (1938-1941), Lena E. Zepa (1941-1943), Lula Squire (1943-1944), Nell Nykoliation (1944-1945), H. H. Galan (1945-1946), Joseph S. Dnistransky (1946-1947), Steffie Maduke (1947-1948), Martin Koroschil (1948-1953), E. Stefanuik (1953-1954), Joseph Kustiak (1954-1957), Wally Yanchyski (1957-1960), and Sara Elizabeth Kinley.
Elphinstone West topographic map, 62K/9 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
From the Past to the Present, 1898-1987 by Parkland Ukrainian Pioneer Association, circa 1988. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, Rare Book Collection F5648.P36 Fro]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 April 2019
Back to top of page