Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fletcher School No. 1560 (RM of Mountain)
The Fletcher School District was organized formally in February 1911, probably named for provincial education official Robert Fletcher. As of January 1917, a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW13-33-23W in the Rural Municipality of Mountain. In June 1956, the school closed permanently. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Duck Mountain School Division. Only the concrete foundation and some scattered remains were found during a 2015 site visit.
The teachers of Fletcher School were Peter Melnychuk (1917), Stephen Kaczkowski (1917-1918), Mr. Chuy (1918-1919), A. T. Burton (1919-1921), A. M. McConnell (1921-1925), J. Palowich (1925-1926, 1927-1928), J. Nazarewich (1926-1927), S. J. Humeny (1928-1930), Anna Kruszowy (1930-1931), Harry Marco (1931-1934), S. J. Humeny (1934-1939, 1948-1951), M. P. Fedorchuk (1939-1941), Michael Sytnick (1941-1943), Peter Bugera (1943-1946), Peter Slonowski (1946-1947), Ann Manychuk (1947-1948), Mary Frankoff (1951-1952), Sylvester Sernick (1952-1953), Cassie Bailuk (1953-1954), and John Zurbeck (1954-1956).
School District Formation Files [Fletcher School District No. 1560], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Hardships to Happiness: History Flows from Pine River and District by Pine River History Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.P60 Har]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 April 2017
Back to top of page