Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fishers Siding School No. 1200 (Renwer, RM of Minitonas)
The Fishers Siding School District was established formally in October 1902 but the first school building was not erected until 1914, in the village of Renwer in the Rural Municipality of Minitonas. It was destroyed by fire in 1944. and classes were held in the Renwer Hall until a replacement was constructed two years later. A high school was built in 1956 and was used until 1960, after which students went to Minitonas. The elementary school was used until it was consolidated with the Swan Valley School Division in 1967. A rock monument was erected in the school yard on 21 July 2002.
The teachers of Fishers Siding School included Miss Longdon, Miss Brethour, Miss Willie, Miss Fisher, Miss Henderson, Miss Buller, Lila Muriel Burge Kennedy, Miss Reid, Mr. McKinnon, Mrs. Sadler, Miss Fraser, Miss McKay, Mrs. Cook, Miss Kingdom, Miss Todd, Miss Greenberg, Miss Stewart, Miss Halpenny, Miss Patterson, Miss Smith, Mrs. Cotton, Miss Kyle, Mr. Grace, Mr. Zackernack, Mr. Adamanchuk, Mrs. Adamanchuk, Mrs. Parisian, Mr. Stocki, Mr. W. Yaremchuk, Mr. Campbell, Miss Tschabusching, Miss Kreshewski, Mrs. Kichuk, Mr. Holland, Mrs. Bell, and Miss Slonoski/Kolowca.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 18 May 2015