Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fairville School No. 1059 (RM of Dauphin)

The Fairville School District was organized formally in March 1900, named for the Fair family in the area, and a building was erected later that year in the southwest quarter of 25-27-19 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. The school closed in June 1966 and its remaining students went to Dauphin. The building is no longer present at the site but a sign commemorates it.

Among the teachers of Fairville School were Peter Smaluck (1954-1957), Mary Prokopowich (1957-1961, 1965-1966), Mrs. Pearl Genik (1963-1964), and Mrs. Henry Solomon (1964-1965).

Fairville School

Fairville School (no date) by R. M. Stevenson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 49.

Fairville School

Fairville School sign (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N51.33246, W100.01765
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.

“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.

“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.

“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.

“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.

“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.

“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.

“Teaching staff for area schools increases to 132 for opening 1963-64 term,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 21 August 1963, page 1.

“All area schools open classes next Tuesday, 131 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 26 August 1964, page 1.

“All schools in area open classes Sept. 1 – 133 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 25 August 1965, page 1, 8.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 3 August 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.