Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ewart Monument (Ewart, RM of Pipestone)

Time has not been kind to the former village of Ewart in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. The main street is now overgrown with vegetation and is inaccessible from the nearby provincial highway, although an abandoned house and the former schoolhouse still stand along its former route.

Founded in 1894 and originally named Bardal, the community was situated around a post office at 22-8-29W which closed in 1918. Bardal Station opened in 1907 as a post office at 9-8-28W, was renamed Haanel in 1908, and became Ewart in 1909 with the coming of the Reston-Wolseley branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway, named for noted Manitoba lawyer John S. Ewart. During its peak years from 1912 through the 1930s, Ewart consisted of ten businesses, a school, post office, railway station, curling and skating rinks, tennis courts, and nine families.

This monument, on the road near an approach to the former main street of Ewart, was dedicated on 30 July 1989. It commemorates the original communities of Bardal and Ewart, and Ewart School No. 1287.

Postcard view of Ewart

Postcard view of Ewart (October 2011) by Winnipeg Photo Company
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2016-0199

Ewart commemorative monument

Ewart commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.64310, W101.21334
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 24 March 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.