Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dominion Post Office Building / Winnipeg Postal Station F (187 Henderson Highway, Winnipeg)
Located at the northeast corner of Kelvin Street (now Henderson Highway) at McIntosh Avenue in Winnipeg, this two-storey building was constructed in 1935 on designs of Federal Department Chief Architet T. W. Fuller. Work on the brick and stone building began in March 1935 and was completed by Norwood contractor G. A. Baert at a cost of $23,984. Subcontracts were tendered to J. Boux (plastering), Allen & Grant (masonry and stone cutting), Dominion Bridge Company (reinforced steel), and the Northern Marble and Tile Company (marble and tile). Known officially as Winnipeg Postal Station F, it was commonly referred to as the Elmwood Post Office. The original structure measuring 37 by 57 feet was expanded in 1950, with an $16,000 annex at the rear.
The Post Office closed to the public in 1992, though it remained in service to Canada Post until its sale in 1996. The site then became an art gallery and, as of 2015, a restaurant.
Photos & Coordinates
“Bids called for Elmwood Post Office,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 January 1935, page 3.
“Work to start next week on Elmwood PO,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 March 1935, page 18.
“Building notes [Elmwood Post Office],” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 March 1935, page 5.
“Building notes [Elmwood Post Office],” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 April 1935, page 15.
“Post office fund listed,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 September 1949, page 1.
“Former Elmwood Postmaster dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 December 1955, page 43.
“So long to Postal Station F,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Northeast Edition, 10 March 1992, page 3.
“Elmwood says so long to Postal Station F,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly North Edition, 17 March 1992, page 8.
“Future of Magnus postal outlet in doubt,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly West Edition, 14 April 1992, page 5.
“Old post office now art gallery,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review West, 14 July 1999, page 5.
Planning, Property and Development Department, 187 Henderson Highway, City of Winnipeg.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 5 June 2021