Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kelner School / Elma School No. 1286 (Elma, RM of Whitemouth)
Known as the Kelner School District when it was established in May 1905, it was renamed Elma in 1918. A schoolhouse operated just outside Elma in the Rural Municipality of Whitemouth. A new three-room school building was constructed in 1953 and the old building was sold off and removed from the site. In 1968, the district became part of the Agassiz School Division. In April 1971, it was announced that Elma School would close at the end of the school year. Six months later, it was sold to the community to become Elma Community Club. The existing building was renovated to include a large cloakroom and commercial kitchen and an extension was added for use as a hall.
Among the other teachers who worked at Elma School through the years were J. H. Barsarabowicz (1911), J. H. Golembioski (1915), A. P. Trowsdale (1920), R. Green (1920), Mabel McQuade (1920), Mrs. J. W. Sibinski (1925), John Sibinski (1925), A. Neyedli (1930), W. O. Yacula (1930, 1940), Genevieve Rudneski (1935), M. Sadoway (1935), Sam Yacula (1935), Jennie Sernyk (1940), M. R. Labay (1945), M. A. Lebit (1945), J. E. Senicie (1950), William Kachur (1950), S. Smelski (1956), Caroline Korlak (1956), E. Curtis (1960), Elsie Shewchuk (1960), Miss B. C. Griffin (1965), Dennis Herntier (1965), Miss J. Cook (1971), Mrs. Jean Borsa (1971), and Miss F. Niecarz (1971).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails to Rails to Highways edited by Bob Porth and Craig MacKenzie, Whitemouth Municipal Museum Society, 1979.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 April 2023