Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bernardin’s General Store (2 Main Street East, Elie, RM of Cartier)

A two-storey brick building at Elie, in the Rural Municipality of Cartier, was built between 1907 and 1909 by merchant Edouard Bernardin and his wife Catherine. After Edouard died in 1927, Catherine continued to operate the store for another ten years. The building was then rented to Dr. J. Joseph Gonty who used it as his medical office and residence. In 1946, it was sold to Noel Girard and, two years later, its main floor was rented out to the Elie Co-op, as its building had been destroyed by fire. Girard later sold the store to Oris Aquin and Albe Legault who continued to rent it to the Co-op until 1953. It was sold to Aldea Houle in November 1953. The store obtained a liquor license for a vendor in the back of the building in 1960. Aldea then sold the store to her daughter Pauline and Marcel Bouchard in November 1970. It was subsequently sold to Doug and Helen Wedgewood in February 1985. The front section of the store is original with pressed-metal ceiling tiles.

Bernadin’s General Store

Bernadin’s General Store (August 2017)
Source: George Penner

Bernadin’s General Store

Bernadin’s General Store (August 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Interior of Bernadin’s General Store where the front section is original

Interior of Bernadin’s General Store where the front section is original (August 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Original ceiling tiles of Bernadin’s General Store

Original ceiling tiles of Bernadin’s General Store (August 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90139, W97.75771
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Jean Joseph Gonty (1902-1970)

Sources:

Treasures of Time: The Rural Municipality of Cartier 1914-1984, History Book Committee, Rural Municipality of Cartier, 1985, page 100. Manitoba Legislative Library.

This page was prepared by Rose Kuzina, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 September 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.