Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elesmere School No. 1147 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
The Elesmere School District was organized formally in August 1901 and as of 1944 a one-room schoolhouse operated at the northeast corner of NW14-11-13W in what is now the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford. In 1950, the original building was replaced by a new one constructed on a three-acre parcel at NE23-11-13W. It closed in 1962 and the district was dissolved in 1967. Its catchment area became part of the Carberry Consolidated School District and later the Beautiful Plains School Division. The schoolhouse was moved to the Beautiful Hills Memorial Park but was lost to vandalism and arson fire. A granary was built on its foundation at the former site.
Among the teachers of Elesmere School were Helen Smith McLean, Lydia Wiebe, and Dorothy Gabor.
School District Formation Files [Elesmere School District No. 1147], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
We thank Greg Pool for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 April 2021