Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Electrical Museum and Education Centre (680 Harrow Street, Winnipeg)
The objectives of the Manitoba Electrical Museum are to educate visitors on the history of electrical system developments in Manitoba and related consumer goods since the 1880s; to describe new and emerging generation technologies, sustainable development of electricity systems, and energy conservation and consumer choice; and to focus on electricity safety. Originally supported by Manitoba Hydro, the museum is transitioning to public operation through 2017.
The 15-foot, 10-inch diameter, 28,000-horsepower, fixed blade hydraulic turbine in front of the museum building generated 7.5 billion kilowatt hours of electrical energy at Great Falls Generating Station from 26 August 1928 to 19 May 1987. It was erected here as a tribute to the pioneers of the hydroelectric industry in Manitoba. The nearby windcharger was made in Sioux City, Iowa in 1940. It used the wind to generate DC electric power and charge a battery bank. Erected in 1942 on the farm of J. A. Dimmick near Gilbert Plains, it was removed from service in 1950 and donated to the museum in November 2001.
In 2002, the museum was given a Conservation Award by Heritage Winnipeg.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 July 2017
Back to top of page