Historic Sites of Manitoba: Egremont School No. 1110 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)
The Egremont School District was organized formally in April 1901. Initially, a one-room schoolhouse operated at 11-37-27W in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West but, in 1911, it was moved to a more central location, at the northwest corner of NW10-37-27W. A new school building, featuring a full basement, oil-fueled furnace, indoor toilets, and electric lights was constructed in 1953. The school closed and the district was dissolved in 1967. Its catchment area became part of the Swan Valley School Division as students from this area were bused to Bowsman or Swan River. The former school building was renovated into a private residence and a metal sign, erected at the site in 1998, commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Egremont School was Mrs. Bridget Overby (1966-1967).
School District Formation Files [Egremont School District No. 1110], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2017
Back to top of page