Historic Sites of Manitoba: East Treherne School No. 298 (Municipality of Norfolk-Treherne)

The East Treherne School District was organized formally in April 1885 and a one-room schoolhouse, built by Thomas Delahunt (1856-1933), operated at NW4-8-9W in what is now the Municipality of Norfolk-Treherne. The building was destroyed by fire on 1 February 1913 and was replaced in the spring of that year, with the new structure being situated on the western edge of the site. The school closed permanently in June 1947 and its district was dissolved in 1957. The remaining students went to West Treherne School No. 537 or Carnot School No. 854. The building was sold and moved to Rathwell where it was renovated into a private residence. A commemorative monument at the original site was unveiled on 11 September 1994.

The teachers of East Treherne School were Mary Elizabeth Lamont (1888, 1905), W. J. Ford (1889), Hugh E. Newton (1890-1896), Esther Botting (1896-1897), Annie Dunfield (1899-1901), Howard Beyon (1902), Muriel Frame (1904), Hetty Grimes (1907-1910), Florence Scammell (1911-1912), Mildred Delahunt (1913-1914), Gladys Gorrie (1914), Ethel Thompson (1915-1916), Ella Wilson (1916-?), Nellie Palmer (1918-1919), Pearl Sharpin Rathwell (1920-?), Gladys Willett (1921-1924), Eleanor Robertson (1924-1925), Olive Cluchey Rathwell (1929), Inez Boddy (1931), Edith Shepherd (1939-1940), Miss E. G. Nattrass (1941), Miss Clendenning (1942), Zilpha Wray (1942-1943), Mina Ammeter (1943-1944), and Mrs. Susan McKee (1947).

A commemorative monument at the former school site was unveiled on 11 September 1994.

East Treherne School

East Treherne School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 16.

East Treherne School commemorative monument

East Treherne School commemorative monument (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.63556, W98.63308
denoted by symbol on the map above


“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.

Tiger Hills to the Assiniboine: A History of Treherne and Surrounding District by Treherne Area History Committee, 1976, pages 46-50.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1994-1995, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 27.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 9 May 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!