Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dupont School No. 2288 (RM of Alexander)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The Dupont School District was established formally in June 1938 and a one-room schoolhouse operated along the boundary between NW15 and SW15-18-10E in what would later be the Rural Municipality of Alexander. In 1954, around $3,000 in upgrades were undertaken, including a full concrete basement added to the school, along with a new heating system and a re-wiring of the building. The facility was later expanded to include a second classroom. In January 1964, it became part of the St. George Consolidated School District No. 2403, which later became part of the Agassiz School Division. Starting in the fall of 1967, students were bussed to Leonard School and the school did not re-open.

Principals

No information.

Teachers

Among the early teachers at Dupont School were Jeannette E. Lanthier (Fall 1938 - Fall 1941), Marie Margaret Campbell (Spring 1942), Lucille [De Caire] DeCaire (Fall 1942 - Spring 1943), Denise Marie Rita Olivier (Fall 1943 - Spring 1944), Adeline Marie Gagne (Fall 1944 - Spring 1945), Odile Blanche Saint-Pierre [St. Pierre] (Fall 1945 - Spring 1948), Teresa [Theresa?] Jean Gorge (Fall 1948 - Spring 1949), Marcelle Marie Jeanson (Fall 1949 - Spring 1950), B. M. C. Lafreniere (Fall 1950 - Spring 1951), G. J. Charette (Fall 1951 - Spring 1952), Therese Comartin (Fall 1952), Simonne [Simone?] Gorge (Fall 1952-Spring 1953), Therese Chatelain (Spring 1953), and Catherine Dupont (Fall 1953 - Spring 1955).

Period

Teachers

1955-1963

?

1963-1964

Miss B. Chikowski, John Norman

1964-1965

K. "Kay" Gordon, John Norman

1965-1966

Mrs L. Vincent, Mrs B. Webb

1966-1967

Mrs L. Vincent, Mrs B. Webb

Photos & Coordinates

Dupont School

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.54033, W96.13561
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Dupont School District No. 2288 - Daily Registers, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Dupont School District No. 2288 - Cash Books, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Dupont School District No. 2288 - Minute Books, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.

School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Dupont School District No. 2288, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.

School division borrowing files (MA 0038), Dupont School District No. 2288, GR1798, Archives of Manitoba.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E0757), Archives of Manitoba.

We thank Gordon Goldsborough for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 1 November 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.