Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Leonard School No. 1911 (Powerview-Pine Falls)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The Leonard School District was organized formally in December 1917. A one-room wooden schoolhouse was built and later replaced with a larger structure, constructed at NE30-18-10E, in what would later become the Village of Powerview. In 1946, the school was given a 24 x 36 foot expansion. By 1965, the school was an eight-room facility and, in January 1968, the school district was reorganized into the Agassiz School Division. It continued operating until the close of the 1970-1971 school year.

Principals

Period

Principal

1952-1953

Sister St. Elphege

1953-1959

Sister M. Claire Tetrault

1959-1961

Sister Lucie du Sauveur

1961-?

?

?-1971

Lucien Laroche

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1936-1937

Marguerite Marie Dupont (grade 1), Judith F. Clarence (grades 2-4), Petter Martin Juul (grades 5-8)

1937-1938

Marguerite Marie Dupont (grade 1), Judith Frances O’Connor (grades 2-4), Rene Jotras (grades 5-8)

1970-1971

Lorraine Cormier (kindergarten), Judith Louise Sinclair (grade 1), Irene Aimee Dean (grade 2), Sharon Lee Pelletier Papineau (grade 2), Helene Aline Pereux (grade 3), Nola Dorothy Cooley (grades 4 & 5), Gisele Marie Vincent (grade 5), Lesley Irene English (grade 5), Sister Theresa Benat (grade 6), Eunice Cyr (grade 7), Pauline Menard (grade 7), John Harold “Jack” Bogaski (grade 8), Lucien Laroche (grade 8), Sister Dorothy M. C. Bouvier (resource)

Among the other teachers of Leonard School were Rev. Sister Florence (1948), Miss S. Beaudette (1948), and Miss T. Desrosiers (1948).

Photos & Coordinates

The original Leonard School building

The original Leonard School building (no date) by J. H. Plewes
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 58.

A later Leonard School building

A later Leonard School building (no date) by J. E. S. Dunlop
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 58.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.56777, W96.19728
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Pine Falls East topographic map, 62I/9 East, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

“14. Tenders [Leonard School District],” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 June 1946, page 15.

“Teachers form new society at Pine Falls,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 November 1948, page 5.

“The Leonard School District,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 May 1965, page 29.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

School division half-yearly attendance reports, Schedule: E 0757, Accessions: GR1196, GR1628, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 5 April 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.