Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dunara School No. 1203 (RM of St. Andrews)

The Dunara School District was established in November 1902 and, until a school building could be constructed, classes were held in a nearby church. In 1904, a one-room schoolhouse measuring 26 feet by 20 feet was built at NE36-15-3E in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. That building was replaced by a new structure, at the same time, in 1929. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Lord Selkirk School Division.

Among the teachers of Dunara School were Ada Reine (1905), Constance E. Ashley (1910-1912), Pearl M. Huskins (1913-1914), Margaret Lemoine (1914-1915), Daisy Clarence Forster Bayne (1915-1918, 1919-1920, 1924-1925), Miss Norma S. Daynes (1918-1919), Mrs. Baldwin, Miss Lydia J. Bird (1921-1922), Miss Hazel Cruikshanks (1921, 1922), Miss Verna A. Whitfield (1922-1923), Miss Ruth S. Dobbs (1923-1924), Miss Josephine Gladys Dunphy (1925-1928, 1935-1937), Miss Olive McDowell (1928), Marie Thompson (1929), Harriett McIntosh “Hattie” Dunphy (1929-1935), Miss M. McRae, Miss Myrtle Annie Crookshanks (1937-1943), Miss Anne Nedotafko (1943-1945), Miss Ernestine Pauline Griffith (1945-1946), Clara Irene Slater (1946-1949), Miss Jean Marie Keller (1949-1950), Miss Charlotte Isabel Hodge (1950-1953), Helen Parypa (1953-1954), Miss Elizabeth Phyllis Anderson (1954-1956), Mike Skrupa (1956-1957), Inette Asmundsen (1957-1958), Dorothy A. McConnell (1958-1959), Shirley Smigelski (1959-1961), Robert Harold Isfeld (1961-1962), and Ernie Burdeniuk (1962-1967).

Dunara School

The original Dunara School building (no date) by H. D. Cumming
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 76.

Dunara School

The second Dunara School building (no date) by H. D. Cumming
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 76.

Site Location (lat/long): N50.32117, W97.04535
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Stonewall West topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 1, 1952, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]

Marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.

“Mrs. H. M. Moffatt, of Selkirk, passes away [Harriett McIntosh “Hattie” Dunphy Moffatt],” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 October 1935, page 3.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Dunara School District No. 1203 Daily Registers, GR2033, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Dunara School District No. 1203 Cash Book, GR2033, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Dunara School District No. 1203 Minute Book, GR2033, Archives of Manitoba.

School division half-yearly attendance reports, Schedule E0757, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 12 July 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.