Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dunallen School No. 548 (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)

The Dunallen School District was established formally in what is now the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton in June 1887. The original building was destroyed by fire on 4 May 1952. Classes were held in a trailer for the remainder of 1952 while a new school was built. The school closed in 1965 and the district was dissolved the following year. Its catchment area was divided between Minto School District No. 1174 and Boissevain School District No. 373. The school building is no longer present at the site but a plaque commemorates it.

Among the teachers of Dunallen School were Beatrice Hall (1902), Jean Craig (1903), Miss Johnson (1904-1905), Miss Robb (1906), Miss Donaldson (1907), Miss Perrin (1909), Ethel Dickson (1911), C. A. Johnson (1912), Miss Wark (1913), Tom Beatty (1914), Mary Rose (1914-1915), Helen Rose (1916-1917), Winona Howell (1918), Clara HIll (1919), Ruth Brewster (1920-1921), Alice Gee (1922), Miss Walton (1923), Ina Ashton (1924), Miss Baskerville (1925), Miss Popple (1926), M. Scottney (1926-1927), Jean Cameron (1928-1929), M. Hunter (1930-1932), Miss Brooks (1933), Miss Brindle (1934-1935), Miss Fleming (1936), Devona Pritchard (1937), Dot McKenzie (1938-1939), Miss Shearer (1940), Jean Chapman (1940), Iris Henderson (1941-1942), Evelyn Hunter (1943), Mrs. Thompson (1944-1949), Jean Paterson (1949-1950), Eileen Wall (1951), Jean Cochrane (1951-1952), Irma Shorey (1952-1953), Marion McKinley (1954), Kosik (1954), B. Venables (1954-1955), K. Duncan (1955-1956), Aggie Jean Martin (1956-1958), Leafa Hart (1958-1959), Jean Howell (1959-1960), Phyllis Cochrane (1960-1962), and Neta McArter (1962-1965).

Dunallen School

Dunallen School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 88.

Dunallen School commemorative sign

Dunallen School commemorative sign (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.34046, W100.08178
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain History Committee, c1981, pages 158-160.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.